Sunday, August 1, 2010

PROJECT PUMP

Okay guys. Let me tell you about one aspect of my life. Diabetes.

When I was 7 years old I was diagnosed with Type 1 (Juvenile) Diabetes. Ever since 1989 Diabetes has always played a leading role in my life. Rain or shine. Sickness or health. It's something I can't ignore...even if I want to. Over the past 21 years I've had a love/hate relationship with my disease. There are so many emotional/spiritual/mental challenges AND blessings that have come with this aspect of my life.

I remember everything about being diagnosed. Leading up to my diagnoses I remember having the symptoms. I would sneak up to the kitchen and chug glasses of milk while my family was watching "Full House" or some other late 80's TV show. I didn't really think much of it. Just quenching my killer thirst right? Little did I know that my mom was watching me and clearly recognized my symptoms! Quickly I was taken to the doctors and had my first experience of having my blood drawn. (scary.com!!)
October 9, 1989--A few days later I was playing at my friend Matthew's house. I even remember what we were playing (we were making a fort under his pine tree). I guess you remember the details when a life-altering experience happens in your life. I remember my sister Michelle running down the block yelling to me that I had to return home. I remember the urgency in her 9 year old voice.
When I walked in the door I saw my Mothers tear-streaked face. She and my Father told me that I had a disease called diabetes and that we were going to the hospital for further treatment. I remember taking a shower before we left for the hospital. As I washed my hair I remember saying to myself, "why me?" That's all I could think of. Why me? A seven year old kid? What did it mean to have diabetes?

Well, the journey all began there. I was so little. Ever since that warm fall day in 1989 my life has been altered. To be honest, I can't really remember what it's like NOT to have diabetes. It's been a long road and that road has led me here. Right now. In the present moment. About 3 weeks ago I had a doctors appointment. He looked at me at the end of our time together with those worried/disappointed eyes. "work on exercising more. work on getting your A1C down." In laymans terms he was saying: Loose weight and get your diabetes under control. When he said those words something clicked in my heart and in my head. I needed to change. At that moment in the doctors office I knew. I knew that this would be my pivot point.

So I set a date. The date when the change would begin. August 1, 2010. The plan for change is called: PROJECT PUMP. I want to get a insulin pump in the near future. There are so many things I can to do prepare. Test my blood sugar more often. Watch what I eat. Carbo-count...etc. I bought myself some nifty little notebooks to kickstart my new plan. I'm writing everything down.

This project is not going to be easy. I know it's necessary though. It's not just for me. It's for my future family too. I owe it to myself and I owe it to them. I'm grateful for this pivot point. I'm grateful that I can change for the better. Most importantly I know that I can reach my goals with all the support I receive from God, my family, and my friends. Team Sara is ready to go!

Joy in Journey! May the force be with me! Live long and prosper. Nanoo, nanoo, nanoo!



2 comments:

  1. Love you more than words can say! So proud of you and am in full support of Project Pump! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Boo!! I bleeve in you! Etc. Etc.

    I TOTALLY know what you mean about having something that's a blessing and a curse. I'm the youngest person I know with a metal hip!

    ReplyDelete